Thursday, August 18, 2011

Silk and Bathtubs: Trip to NYC

Just a few days ago, I returned from an amazing trip to NYC. Gus and I were there to attend a wedding... but many other antics ensued! Here are some highlights.


WE STAYED IN AN ANTIQUE TENEMENT BUILDING


No, no. Not a cool historic hotel. Merely a building that should have been gutted decades ago, but has maintained its early 20th century charm as a haven for artists. I like to think of it as Vintage. We stayed with Gus' high school pal, A - and A's maltipoo, Piglet. We got to take baths in the kitchen claw foot (no showers) and enjoy the painted hardwood floors, old fireplaces, and naked mannequins scattered about the house. A said to us "you should check out the Tenement Museum. It's just like my place, but with period furniture."

A also happens to be the Super, so he gave us a tour of the back building - a similar structure, except abandoned. He used to use it for studio space. Now he uses it to throw unusual, fabulous, dinner parties.
I wish my new Nikon D40 had come in the mail BEFORE this trip. Oh well - the iphone didn't do so bad. Thanks for the experience, A and Piglet. You guys rock.


FABRIC SHOPPING

Yes! The part you've been waiting for. When Gus asked me "is there anything you want to do in New York while we're there?" I just looked at him. "So you want to go fabric shopping?" He knows me so well.

I was worried about finding anything, because frankly, with the wedding and seeing everyone from my past, I just didn't have that much time to fart around. So I posted the question to The Sew Weekly and got some great answers!

I also consulted A - who used to buy costume fabric for a living. He sent me to New York Elegant Fabrics and Daytona Trim, with a stop in Spandex World. He also gave me the tip to ask how much things are - because it doesn't always correspond to the tag.

What did I buy, you ask? SILK.



Okay, so I know it's hard to work with - but I won't learn if I don't try, and you just can't find anything nice down here. I'm dying to use that yellow polka dot to make the Sencha blouse from Colette Patterns. I think the purple woodland nymph print is the new forbidden fabric in my stash - I don't know what I will use it for, but I want it to be perfect! Suggestions welcome...




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time in NYC, especially fabric shopping! I agree that the yellow polka dot will make a great Sencha. If you've never made this pattern before may I suggest making a muslin? I just made one over the past couple of weeks and found that it's really an odd fit, but nothing that a few muslin tweaks won’t cure. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding a great fabric is no doubt is FUN! But sewing it properly and giving it a good design is actual FUN. I am looking for a Best Sewing Machine For Beginners as i have found this new craze of sewing in me.

    ReplyDelete